Friday, May 9, 2008

SO MUCH TO LEARN

The music of Morocco seems to be infinitely complex: due to the countless internal and external influences, there is a tremendous range in the different genres of music. This explains why the term “Moroccan music” is rather ambiguous, as “Moroccan music” can include influences from Arabian music, Andalusian music, West African music, Rai music (from Algeria) and, of course, the indigenous Berber music.

Even within Berber music, there are many variations: I was told that from tribe to tribe, there are different rhythms and melodies. Since my arrival to Morocco, I have met so many individuals – some musicians, some not – that know so much about the music of Morocco, despite the fact that there is so much to know. That is to say, it seems that throughout the population, there is a certain “common knowledge” about all of the different genres of Moroccan music. It is so impressive that so many people can thoroughly explain the histories of each school of music.

The tremendous level of diversity has led me to believe that, in order to get a true understanding of the music of Morocco, I must remain in the country for three months – the maximum allowed time without a permanent visa.

Therefore, I have extended my stay in Morocco. There are several festivals in June that I am eager to attend; chiefly, the Sacred Music Festival in Fes and Mawazine Rhythm Festival in Rabat. This means, unfortunately, that I have to eliminate Trinidad & Tobago from my itinerary. Nonetheless, I am thrilled to have the opportunity to stay in Morocco for three full months.

No comments: