Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Bampipe


Like so many other aspects of life, with field research, the most interesting interviews and research situations come at the least expected times. Today was meant to be a slow day, as the rain and the grey clouds failed to forfeit to blue skies. After running some errands in downtown Suva (including a much-needed trip to the laundry mat!), I caught a cab to the University of the South Pacific. At USP, there is the, “Oceania Center for Arts and Culture,” which basically is the general arts and music department for the university. I introduced myself to the head of the department, and he explained to me that they don’t focus much on traditional Fijian music, but instead on contemporary music. My immediate reaction to this was disappointment, as I had anticipated researching traditional music exclusively; nevertheless, field research requires a degree of flexibility.

I was then introduced to three students: Asal, Peter and Iliese. Over the past year, Iliese has created and crafted a new percussion instrument: the bampipe. The bampipe is comprised of seven PVC tubes of different lengths, some of which are almost five feet long. (There is also a bass bampipe that is almost twice as long as the regular one). Each tube is lined with
retractable cardboard tubes of different thicknesses. All of the tubes are tied together in a neat manner. The seven tubes account for the seven keys of the music staff (A, B, C, D, E, F, and G). To give the bampipe an “earthy” look to it, it has been spray painted a dark copper color, with green stencils of ferns. The bampipe is played with the most random thing possible: a busted old sandal.
After performing several jams, the three guys played a tune I immediately recognized, Bob Marley’s “I Shot The Sheriff.” The sound of this innovative instrument is truly awesome; but, because of its uniqueness, I couldn’t help but think of the follow questions:

What is a drum? What is percussion? Surely, hand drums like an Indian tabla or a Cuban conga meet the prerequisites to be categorized as “drums and percussion.” Furthermore, drums that are played with sticks and mallets also fit those standards, right? I would think that is
uncontestable.

So what about seven perfectly pitched PVC tubes played with an old sandal? Is that percussion? Since it can provide a fluid rhythm, I would say yes; although, maybe it simply cannot be categorized. (Western academics must always label, even if such a label is either unnecessary, or impossible).


This research, initially, sought to focus on traditional drum and percussion instruments; yet, I cannot ignore new, innovative means of percussion. Who cares what exactly is played as long as the beat is there and the rhythm is maintained, I say.
After I was given the mini/personal performance, Iliese (the one who was actually playing the bampipe) told me that next month they – The Bampipe Band – are going to Shanghai to perform at a music festival, and then will be touring China for three or four weeks. I told him they should try to play some shows in New York City; I’m sure it would be a hit!

Due to the large file size of the videos I shot, I need to edit them down. I'll post the edited clips on YouTube shortly.

Lastly, this evening I went back to USP to watch a dance performance that had live music. The performance was about the struggles of a young love. In all honesty, I have never been too keen on abstract theatre, but this was pretty good. The paintings on the set were really great, and the music was very cool. The band was just comprised of a cello, three conga drums, and a lali-like drum. The two drummers just wore bulas (the male skirts) and had face and body paint. It was pretty wild.

(Sorry if the pictures are crooked; when it comes to the technological aspect of blogging, I have no idea what's going on!)

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Jesse! This sounds amazing! It's getting cold in Canada. I wanna go to Fiji!

Shirley said...

Dear Jesse, Having some difficulties with the "comments" sign-in; but I'll keep trying.
Reading your blog is exciting. I miss you very much. Love, Grandma

Shirley said...

testing 123