Saturday, September 8, 2007

UPDATE

(The follow entry was written September 6th)

Today, I was supposed to interview Somal (the tabla player from Laxmi Narayan Temple); but, due to conflicts in his schedule, that interview has been postponed until tomorrow at 5pm. Because I have been unable to conduct a formal interview with a Hindu Indo-Fijian tabla player, I am very eager to interview Somal. Hopefully, through that interview, I will be to meet his guru (tabla instructor).

After I found out that the interview with Somal had been canceled, I ventured up to the University. I spoke with two people there – the head of the arts department (who I had met last week) and a woman, Katalina, (who was actually the lead in the play I saw last Friday). I had been under the impression that the Bampipe Band would be performing tomorrow; but that turns out not to be the case. It’s not a huge loss, as they have invited me to observe their practice tomorrow at 10am.

The photograph is from a music shop here in Suva.

No comments: