Sunday, September 9, 2007

JAMMIN'






After my discussion with Professor Hau’ofa came to a conclusion, I started hanging out with the students. (Actually while I was with the Professor, I could hear the band practicing in the background, which was pretty cool to have both things going on at once). Because the music and dance students are going to China next week, they have much preparation in coordinating the music to the dance routine. For about an hour, I sat in the studio with Calvin (a student who is also the music director), Dex, Iliese and Peter to observe their songwriting process. It was really great, especially because they would play something for me, and ask my input!

After that, a bunch of us just jammed; Dex on the acoustic guitar, Iliese on the bampipe, Peter on a large hand drum, and myself on a smaller hand drum. It definitely was a memorable experience. We played for a while; and actually the guys then asked if I would be interested to join them for a performance later that night.

From six to eight that night, about six of us played (two acoustic guitars, two drums, one shaker, extra vocals) at a USP social function. We played a mix of Fijian songs and Western hits, including Eric Clapton’s “Wonderful Tonight, Roy Orbison’s “You Got It,” the Beatles’ “Hey Jude,” and Tony Orlando’s “Knock Three Times,” among others. There were about a hundred people or so at the party, so it was pretty wild! Throughout the set, we all drank kava – truly an authentic Fijian experience.

After the party ended, we all went to an apartment on the USP campus and played for another hour or two! All in all, it was a fantastic day; but, by the end of it, I was pretty drained. I wish I could have recorded some of the music, but I felt that would have taken away from the experience. Oh well, I’m sure that I won’t ever forget it!

No comments: