Thursday, August 30, 2007

KADAVU, PART TWO


August 29, 2007

Last night, I gave Jo another lesson. It was just the two of us for the duration of the lesson, so we were able to really focus. Again, he mostly wanted just to watch me play; but, I also had him sit behind the kit, so I could give him pointers. I firmly believe that as much as he learning by watching, he is better off learning by playing. I have really emphasized that practice (and more practice!) is the only way to play the drums well. Jo has great rhythm, so I told him that he just needs to be able to translate what is up in his head to the physical motions of playing.

Tonight, I gave Jo his last lesson. The catch was about sixteen people watched on. Everyone just wanted to hear me play! It was very flattering, and mildly awkward banging away rock beats in a church! It was quiet a funny scene, me playing drums with a crowd of people around me. One of the men started playing his guitar, so we jammed for a couple of songs. It was really cool playing while one guy is one guitar, and about four or five other guys sang traditional Fijian Christian songs.

It truly was a memorable experience.

That's Jo on the kit, and Mags on the lali.


No comments: