Monday, October 8, 2007

ASAKUSA

I arrived at Narita International Airport several ticks after six this morning. The flight itself was of no consequence whatsoever: in fact, Qantas Airlines is probably the best airline I have flown on! After clearing customs and retrieving my backpack, I had a brush reality: I quickly came to terms with the fact that while I am in Japan, the language barrier will trouble me every day, from big to small things. All of this insight occurred when I was trying to figure out which of the (six? sixteen?) trains I needed to take to my hostel. Eventually, it all worked out; but it is somewhat frustrating being unable to read the local language. Basic communication is a tool we all take for granted.

Tokyo is a massive city: in all fairness, it really should be about three separate cities. I am staying in Asakusa, in Northern Tokyo, the main historical district of the city. To be completely honest, I thought Tokyo was going to be totally overwhelming; but, Asakusa is very easy to navigate around, and although the streets are packed, they are calm. My preconception of Tokyo was that it would be an uber-modern city – I am sure the main business districts are like that – but Asakusa is not.


My hostel is a two-minute walk from the Sensoji Temple, the largest Buddhist in Tokyo. The temple itself is quite beautiful: the entire grounds are a spectacular place. Beginning with the Kaminarimon Gate, a large red wooden entrance, an outdoor market, called Nakamise-dori, stretches about four blocks until it reaches the steps of the temple. The whole area always is packed, night and day, dually due the sacredness of the temple and busyness of the market. All in all, it is really neat to stay so near a religious landmark.

No comments: