Saturday, October 6, 2007

HEADED TO HONSHU

Konnichwa. Tonight, I leave for Tokyo. I am very excited to begin my adventure in Japan. From the original conception of this fellowship, I always anticipated that the research in Japan would be the most difficult to conduct, dually because of the obvious language barrier, but almost more so because of the rich drum and percussion history of the Japanese culture.

As of now, after my arrival in Japan, I plan to spend just a few days in Tokyo. There are two points of interest: the Miyamoto Unosuke Shoten, a massive store described as, “an Aladdin’s cave of traditional [Japanese] percussion instruments,” and the Drum Museum, which, not surprisingly, has the largest collection of drums in all of Japan.

On Thursday the 11th, I will take a train from Tokyo to Kyoto. Over the past several months, I have established a fabulous contact at the University of Kyoto, Noriko Fuku: she has been tremendously helpful in coordinating my itinerary for Japan. I actually can’t imagine where I would be without her right now – Noriko, if you are reading this, thank you SO much!!!

For my duration in Kyoto, I will be staying with several of Noriko’s students: for the first week, I will be living with a student named Rei, who has a grandmother that lives on Sado Island. Sado Island is where the Kodo drummers are from; and I venture up to Sado for the obvious reasons! Also, while in Kyoto, I will be staying with another of Noriko’s student, Nobutaka – Nobutaka and his mother live in a local temple; so that should be an amazing experience. Again, I am so grateful that Noriko has created all of these wonderful research opportunities.

As for the rest of my time in Japan, in late November and the first three weeks of December, the Kodo drummers are doing a national tour, so I will see as many performances as possible. I already purchased a rail pass to make my travels easier!

Anyways, I am not sure of how connected I will be over the next few days, but I once I get acclimated in Japan, I will give you all an update! I will buy a new SIM card, and will post my mobile number as soon as possible. Arigato.

Sayonara,
JBH

No comments: